These phrases are so often used that we tend to overlook how ludicrous they are. Have a quick peek and see what you think.
- “Smart Partnership” – So, the other type of partnership we have in Malaysia is the STUPID PARTNERSHIP?
- “Postpaid” – Are these cellular accounts paid for by POS MALAYSIA? Can I have one?
- “Handphone” – So, the other type of phone we have in Malaysia is FOOTPHONE? They must be very difficult to use.
- “Free Gift” – Aren’t gifts supposed be free in the first place?
- “Off the light!” – Maybe we mean “Please turn off the lights”
- “Shoes off!” – Maybe we mean “Please take off your shoes”
- “Sure or not?” – Maybe what we mean to ask is, “Are you sure?”
- “That’s mean…” – Perhaps what we mean to say is, “That means…”
- (Woman at hairdresser) “I want a BLOW JOB” – I shall assume (for the sake of propriety ) that she actually wants is a “Cut and Blow-dry”
- “Irregardless” – Isn’t a simple “Regardless” enough?
- (In business letters) “Attached, please find… ” – Have you hidden the attachment?
- “To be honest…” – Has he/she been lying to us before this?
I’d better stop before I come off sounding like the self-appointed spokesman for the Language Police. Regardless, can you think of some more of these phrases? They are kind of fun, aren’t they?